Water Disinfection for Aquaculture
Biosecurity and pathogen control are critical to the successful management of an aquaculture facility. Effective disinfection of the water supply is the first and most important step in ensuring protection from disease.
Ultraviolet (UV) Disinfection is the use of UV light to inactivate exposed microorganisms through a photochemical reaction in the organism’s DNA that prevents multiplication (disrupting the organism's life cycle).
UV is a preferred disinfection technology in aquaculture applications as it does not produce toxic by‐products or residuals, and as such, there is no risk of overdosing fish as there is with chemical oxidants. At sufficient dosage, UV irradiation has proven to be effective at inactivating waterborne, pathogenic microorganisms such as bacteria, fungus, mold, viruses and algae.
What Is Atlantium Hydro-Optic?
Atlantium Technologies has harnessed the power of UV light with the innovative Hydro-Optic™ UV technology. Their team of experts has expanded the knowledge base of UV treatment across multiple industries, by removing waterborne / aquaculture pathogens and developing innovative ways that UV light can be used to ensure water safety.
Atlantium holds more than 60 patents, and the HOD UV technology is field proven and third party validated to the highest regulatory standards for EPA, FDA, NVI and PMO with accredited validation for 4-log virus with the target virus, and 5-log microbial inactivation.
- Real Time Performance Monitoring
- Broad Spectrum of Polychromatic UV Lights
- Fewer UV Lamps Per System
- Reduced Maintenance
Enhanced Hydro-Optic™ (HOD) UV Light
• Medium pressure high-intensity HOD UV lamps enable fewer UV lamps per system
• Medium pressure UV lamps provide a broad germicidal spectrum of polychromatic UV light (200-415 nm)
• Lamps are protected by a quartz sleeve 5 times thicker than conventional quartz sleeves
• Significantly reduced lamp-related maintenance
• Quick and easy lamp replacement, does not require emptying of the water lines or depressurization
HOD UV systems feature the unique Total Internal Reflection (TIR) technology that recycles UV light energy, ensures homogenous UV dose distribution and provides superior power (kW) efficiency compared to traditional UV.
Monitoring & Control Systems
Real-Time Lamp Performance Monitoring
- Dedicated UV sensor for each HOD UV lamp (feature unique to HOD UV technology)
- Continuous monitoring of HOD UV lamp output
- Required UV dose is delivered at all times
Real-Time Water Quality Monitoring
- Integrated UV transmittance (UVT) sensor on each HOD UV system
- Continuous monitoring of UVT percentage
- Optimizes system performance for actual, not estimated, UVT percentage levels
PR Aqua is proud to be a distributor of Atlantium UV technology in Canada for the aquaculture market segment. To help us begin evaluating your water disinfection aquaculture needs, please answer the following questions. We will be in contact with you shortly to gather additional information.